Sensitive information needs to be protected. The following are the ways to protect sensitive information.
1. Choose a strong cryptographic algorithm to protect the information.
2. Use different keys to secure different information.
3. The keys shall be protected at all times.
4. Longer key-length protects the information better.
5. Keys shall be distributed securely.
6. The current key-in-use shall be used without making a copy.
7. Additional copies of the keys shall be destroyed when they are no longer required.
8. The key shall be periodically rotated.
9. The key and information should be kept separate.
Do not lock your house and leave the key under the front doormat.
Here are some basic firewall wall rules, these rules can be used to secure your home network router. These rules are specific to a particular router model and can differ from other router model. I will be updating this post periodically and include more advance topics, so please stay tuned.
1. Create a Address-List to allow access to your router from your local LAN and accept packets in input chain.
2. Drop packets from invalid connection in the forward chain.
3. Allow connection from the local LAN in the forward chain.
4. Allow established connection in the forward chain.
5. Allow related connection in the forward chain.
6. Drop all other traffic through the router in the forward chain.
7. Allow established connection through the router in the input chain.
8. Allow related connection through the router in the input chain.
9. Drop all other traffic to the router in the input chain.