1. Choose a strong cryptographic algorithm to protect the information.
2. Use different keys to secure different information.
3. The keys shall be protected at all times.
4. Longer key-length protects the information better.
5. Keys shall be distributed securely.
6. The current key-in-use shall be used without making a copy.
7. Additional copies of the keys shall be destroyed when they are no longer required.
8. The key shall be periodically rotated.
9. The key and information should be kept separate.
Do not lock your house and leave the key under the front doormat.